A Turboprop AircraftThe FAA has extended the NBAA Small Aircraft Exemption through March 31, 2022. This allows NBAA members who operate piston-powered airplanes, small airplanes (those with a gross weight of 12,500 pounds or less) and rotorcraft an exemption from FAR 91.501(a), which means, among other things, they may enter into agreements that are reserved for large aircraft, such as time-sharing, interchange and joint ownership agreements. This exemption is officially known as “7897K.”

Exemption 7897K has new reporting requirements for small aircraft owners. As of September 27, 2020, a small aircraft owner who is operating an aircraft under this exemption must file a “Notice of Joinder to FAA Exemption No. 7897K” by submitting the following information electronically to the Federal eRulemaking Portal (http://www.regulations.gov) prior to conducting any operations.

The notice must include the following information:

  • Person’s name or name of an authorized representative who is submitting the joinder.
  • Physical address.
  • Email address.
  • Telephone number.
  • NBAA membership number.
  • Statement requesting that the FAA appends the Notice of Joinder to the list of NBAA members authorized to exercise the privileges of Exemption No. 7897K.
  • An attestation that the person will not conduct any operations under Exemption No. 7897K if the person stops being a member of NBAA.
  • An attestation that the person will comply with all conditions and limitations of Exemption No. 7897K.

Additionally, the operator of the small aircraft must notify the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) that operations will be conducted under Exemption No. 7897K and provide a copy of the time-sharing, interchange or joint ownership agreement. An entry must also be made in the logbook showing the section of FAR 91.501 under which the aircraft is being operated.

The attorneys at Aero Law Group PC are ready to assist you if you are a small aircraft owner or operator who would like to know more about Exemption 7897K or want to create a timesharing, interchange or joint ownership agreement or need help filing the required notices.  Please contact us with any questions.